Pursuing superior health brings many common benefits we are aware of like more energy and productivity, less sickness and disease, better endurance, clearer thinking, and better mood. All of these contribute to your bottom line. Better health has another often overlooked attribute as well. It brings what people call wholeness or vibrancy. When the human body heals every aspect of the person is enhanced, not just the body. When physical health is enhanced all parts of a person’s life have the potential to improve. In many cases that is exactly what happens.
Our current culture has artificially disconnected physical health from other aspects of life like relationships, career growth, creativity, collaboration, flexibility, passion, healthy risk taking, accountability, perseverance, etc… The truth is health is intimately connected with these other parts of life. When a person becomes systemically healthier they often become improved in the ways listed above.
This is good news for a leadership team interested in pursuing wellness as a business strategy. It means you get more return on your investment than anticipated. You get conventional cost savings but you also get the side effect benefits of having people who are more whole and vibrant.
- Reduced healthcare costs – fewer and lower claims in all covered areas
- Reduced absenteeism – less time people absent
- Reduced presenteeism – less time people are at work but little or no work is accomplished
Side Effect Benefits
- Increased productivity – more and better work
- increased morale and job satisfaction – higher opinion of where I work and what I do
- Improved recruitment and retention – easier to recruit and retain the best employees
- Improved passion and accountability – more enthusiasm about the work and for taking responsibility for its completion
- Improved healthy risk taking – more and continued willingness to reach for achievement in appropriate ways
- Improved collaboration and creativity – more authentic connection and synergistic outcomes
- Improved interest and action in career growth – increased interest in learning, growing, and advancing
Recent analysis shows cost saving is greater in the “Side Effects” category than in the “Conventional” category. ROI grows over time to be larger than expected…!