Health-wise folks have a secret. The most impactful way to achieve a healthy day is to prepare for it immediately when they wake. They recognize the moment they wake is both a moment of great risk and a moment of great opportunity. They understand they can’t expect the day to go well if they don’t convert the risks into opportunities.
The best way to live a healthy day [and life] is to implement an effective MORNNG ROUTINE!
What are the risk areas and what should we do to neutralize them? Below is a list of 5 critical risk areas and the habits we need to combat them:
- Dental health. The bacterial profile of our mouths is at its worst first thing in the morning. Brushing our teeth is good but it doesn’t clear bacteria under the gum line and between teeth. We can’t afford to let bad bacteria do harm all day long. Also, the bacterial state of the mouth can impact our gut microbiome. We don’t want our mouth to help drive inflammation or imbalance. We certainly don’t want bad breadth or decaying teeth. What do we need to do? Habit: Brush, floss, and clean your tongue immediately upon waking. All 3 are needed! Do this immediately before you eat or drink anything.
- When we wake we are in a state of low hydration or we will be shortly. Morning requires the systems of our body to mobilize. Our brain and cognitive function, our muscles and movement system, our digestive and elimination system, and more. We need to optimize hydration right away. What can we do? Habit: Drink a couple of 8-10 ounce glasses of clean water before eating, drinking or working. Drinking water throughout the day is important too of course, but that is a topic for another time…
- Muscular and structural function. Our muscles aren’t elastic and working together for proper movement and posture when we wake. We also usually have poor awareness of our body in general. Will you walk, move, and sit with good posture today? How will your circulation and energy be? Habit: Exercise if that is your plan or do some simple stretching and warm up.
- Calm purposeful mind. Maybe you’re like me. Not long after I wake desires, concerns, and worries begin to flow through my mind pulling me in a dozen directions. Each thought claiming to be important. Are we to be captive and reactive to the urgency and worry of the day? Habit: Relax with deep breathing and spend a minimum of a few minutes in quiet meditation or prayer. Remember your values, purpose, and priorities all over again. Begin your day living intentionally and in the present! A good question to ask is, “what does love require of me today?”.
- Supportive nutrition. Most of the standard American diet (SAD) is heavy and takes lots of energy to digest, lacks fiber, is nutrient deficient, is acidic and promotes low PH, and contains additives and chemicals. This is opposed to a focus energetic, purposeful day. Habit: If you eat breakfast, eat a light, easily digestible, fiber filled, whole unprocessed, additive free, micronutrient dense, alkalizing, breakfast. I know that might seem like a lot to ask. Remember this is an ideal not what you might be doing today. One important note here. 50% of Americans have insulin resistance meaning they are either pre-diabetic or diabetic. For those people a significant protein source at each meal is suggested. Could be from either a plant or animal source. What do I have at breakfast? A green smoothie or fruit and some raw nuts. Sometimes a whole grain like steel cut oats. It can be simple and quick.
How long does this take? As little as 20-30 minutes if you aren’t doing a full workout in the morning. If you work out or need more quiet time it will take longer. These minutes in the morning will be some of the most health promoting and highest return on investment minutes you spend.
Turn your morning risks into powerful opportunities and you will make being healthy so much easier!
To your vibrancy and highest potential,